August Pinterest Project: Crafty Art

Each month, I try to tackle something new that is Pinterest-inspired. This month, I am working on making my sewing corner a crafty zone that helps me be even more inspired to create and sew. This stage of the project was adding some craft-themed art to the space!


I mentioned in this post that I wanted to work on this area. Here is the "before" picture to jog your memory...


First step was to take down the white board so I could start with a clean slate!

I knew exactly what I wanted to do...inspired by several pins I'd seen floating around! I found some embroidery hoops in a box in the attic. There were only three (left over from our cross-stitching days) so I just used what I had.  It is a pretty small wall, so 3 probably was a perfect number!

I picked out 3 of my favorite fabrics from my scrap bin (you can see all three of these fabrics in this post) and tried them out in the hoops.


I just took my fabric scissors and chopped the excess off. I knew it didn't have to be perfect at this point, but I wasn't yet sure how I was going to finish off the backs of these, so I left a little bit of extra. Then I took the pieces out of the hoops and ironed them. See how they are very imperfect circles? Totally ok, because they are just going to get trimmed more in a minute!


I thought about hot glueing the extra fabric to the inside of the hoop, but what if I want to change these up down the line? (Or, perish the thought, use them as embroidery hoops again some day?) So instead I opted to just trim the excess down as far as I could so they would lay nice and flat against the wall. I did, of course, make sure the fabric was in the hoop the way I wanted it and pulled everything nice and tight before I trimmed them.


When it came time to put them up on the wall, I needed to determine what layout I liked best. I cut out 3 paper templates to give me some ideas...


Random, or symmetrical?


Or random again?


In the end, that first layout 3 pictures up was my favorite, so I put the templates exactly where I wanted them, and then just hammered a small nail right through the template.


The paper pulled off the nail easily, so all I had to do was pop my hoop art up there!


Lets hear it for some pretty, free art! Well, free because I already had the hoops and the fabric scraps. The fabric definitely was not free to begin with, haha.

This space is improving...


As you may have already guessed, I have plans for something else in that empty spot underneath the hoops. I'm excited to get started on it once I find the right supplies!

Anyone else try anything Pinterest-inspired lately? How about some changes to define a certain area? I just love changes to a space that make me smile when I look at them!


I Heart Nap Time


Comments

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Lets keep things fun and edifying, shall we? Also: don't be afraid if your comment doesn't pop up right away. Some comments have to be moderated. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Goals for the Week of November 2, 2015

Some Friday Love: Recipe Binder Printable!

"Frasier Island" Book Review and Giveaway!