Learning to Sew? Get a Good Book!

One of the handy tools that I keep within arms reach while doing sewing projects is a series of books on sewing. Seems like a no-brainer, right.... I want to try some new project, so I have a reference to help guide me through the process. I would rank these books right up there on my must-have list along with the detailed sewing kit I shared here.


These particular books are part of the Singer Sewing Reference Library . My Grammie had originally given me several of these books, and I've picked up others as I've found them at local thrift stores. I still don't have the complete set {to tell you the truth, I can't figure out exactly how many there are in the set, but there is a lot!} but the ones I do have contain valuable information that has helped me learn new things.


I've used these books to give me ideas for curtain styles, explain exactly how to achieve a mitered corner, and followed their instruction explicitly when making chair cushions. These books have large, detailed pictures that are a huge help! Good pictures are really necessary for this kind of book, if you ask me!

These books also have lots of handy references like how to estimate yardage, {or is it meterage here in Canada?} detailed lists of tools you may need, and how to do different types of stitches with different machine accessories. A girl can dream, right? :) There is a lot in these books besides basic tutorials!



These are the only books in my sewing arsenal right now, but I'd love to add to them some day with others! I really like the looks of Bend-the-Rules Sewing, because lets just say a lot of corners are cut when I sew, and I don't mean literally. {wink!}

So I'd love to hear from you...do you have some go-to books or even websites where you glean some sewing knowledge?  What are some necessary weapons in your sewing arsenal?


Psst! Have you been following along on my new project to share one thousand blessings through photos? Its happening over on my Facebok page, and so far I'm having a blast. Hop over to see today's photo...it has to do with my hair!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals for the Week of November 2, 2015

Some Friday Love: Recipe Binder Printable!

"Frasier Island" Book Review and Giveaway!