Happy Accidents + Inspiration

Psst, did you see the sale we have going on at So Sew Organized right now?? Click here to find out more!

Over the time that I’ve had my own handmade shop, all that creating and designing has taught me some things. One main thing that I am still learning is that inspiration is everywhere, and I need to be looking for it! Sometimes I don’t even realize a prime source of inspiration right away. Does anyone else do that? I have a feeling I miss a lot!

One of these instances happened recently. I noticed two spools of thread sitting side by side - one red, one brown. And I thought, “Hmm, red and brown...I haven’t played with that colour combo yet!”



I filed the thought away for later, thinking it didn’t apply to the present. I was wrong!

A couple weeks later, I was busy making a custom order. The lady had requested this pansy material inside and out, so I was finding a couple trim pieces that I had on hand to compliment it. I had the red band cut out along with a yellow trim piece, all ready to go.

But I felt a little “meh” about the yellow I had picked out.


(Another thing I’ve learned during the handmade process is that if you feel “meh” about something, it is better to wait until you get a better idea. Otherwise, you end up feeling so-so about the finished product.)

While I was putting the tote together, it struck me that those very same colours I had admired in thread spools were in the pansy print! Red and brown...could I pull it off??


Why yes, I could.


I was just over the moon excited with how the colours turned out. So much better than the yellow I was planning to go with!


Bonus: the customer was over the moon happy with it as well! In fact, her very words were, “Would you feast your eyes on THIS!!” =)


It was such a happy accident that I had some scrap pieces to use that exactly matched the pansy print. It was a happy accident that I had red and brown threads, from two unrelated projects, sitting next to each other. Don’t you just love those kinds of accidents??


I’d love to know: where do you look for your inspiration? Ever had “happy accidents” happen in your crafting or creating?


Linking up to: My Romantic Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals for the Week of November 2, 2015

Some Friday Love: Recipe Binder Printable!

"Frasier Island" Book Review and Giveaway!