Strawberry Pina-Colada Smoothie Recipe

Today I am sharing my very favourite smoothie recipe with you! It uses just simple ingredients and tastes wonderful, plus it is super easy to have as an on-the-go snack!

Introducing the Strawberry Pina Colada Smoothie!


When I added a second part-time job last fall, in addition to teaching piano, I discovered that I needed quick, easy, and affordable snacks and meals for on-the-go! Smoothies have been a favourite of mine for a while. After trying lots of different combinations I decided that this one is my favourite, hands down!

Here is the recipe to make your own Strawberry Pina Colada Smoothie:

3/4 cup frozen or fresh strawberries

3/4 cup frozen or fresh pineapple

1/4 cup frozen or fresh banana

coconut milk

coconut water powder (optional)

Now, the truth? I've never measured, I just totally guessed on those measurements. {wink!} I like to make enough to fill this wide mouth, pint-sized canning jar. You can play around with it and see what tastes the best to you!

Put all the fruit in the jar. When I use frozen fruit I like to defrost it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, just to make it a bit easier to blend.

Add two teaspoons of coconut water powder (this is optional...we'll talk more about that in a minute.)


Add enough coconut milk to make it easy to blend, or to taste.


I use an immersion blender to mix it all up right in my mason jar! One less dish to wash. :)


Want to know my other secret ingredient? Many times I will make these smoothies the night before, then grab them for a breakfast on my way out the door. In order to make that work, I add a splash of real lemon juice when I mix this up. That keeps the banana from rotting in the fridge overnight. Those bananas go bad quick in the fridge! The lemon juice keeps that from happening, and my smoothie looks and tastes like I just blended it after 12 hours in the fridge.

Now, that coconut water powder...that is my other secret ingredient.


I like to add this to give the smoothie more coconut taste (otherwise the coconut milk is the only thing providing the "colada" part of this recipe!) There are also great health benefits to coconut and coconut water. This coconut water powder is a good source of natural electrolytes, which would make this smoothie a great post-workout snack!

Another variation to this smoothie is to use blueberries instead of strawberries. It is good, but the strawberry one is my fave. :) Let me know if you try it, and what your opinion is! Any other great smoothie recipes for me to try?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals for the Week of November 2, 2015

Some Friday Love: Recipe Binder Printable!

"Frasier Island" Book Review and Giveaway!