My Favorite Apple Crisp and Mix-ins

Apple crisp has easily become one of my favorite treats to make. It is easy, requires few ingredients, and can be very inexpensive! I have been experimenting with a few different recipes and have settled on this one as the fave.

I also have tried to create a healthier version using some alternate ingredients, and I am very happy how this turned out!



No-Fail Apple Crisp

Topping:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup coconut sugar*
1/3 cup oats
6 Tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine these topping ingredients with a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles small crumbs. Set back in fridge to keep the butter cold until the filling is ready.

Filling:
6-ish large apples - enough to fill a 9x9" pan
1/3 cup coconut sugar *
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour*
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Peel and core apples, then dice or slice directly into a greased 9x9" baking dish. Use enough apples to fill the baking dish. Toss apples with other filling ingredients and press lightly into pan again. Spread crumb topping over apples and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until apples are very bubbly.



*Note: Coconut sugar is a great, healthier alternative to white or brown sugar, but if it is unavailable to you it can be substituted 1:1 with brown sugar in this recipe. (Coconut sugar is made from the plant of the coconut, not the fruit, and does not taste like coconut at all. It resembles brown sugar in taste and texture.) White flour can also be substituted 1:1 in place of whole wheat flour.




Now my favorite part: The MIX-INS!

I have started trying mixing in different fruits and ingredients with the apples, and so far I haven't found one I didn't like! The possibilities are endless and can be changed depending on the seasons or what fruits are available.

Here are a few ideas (the ones with an * are the ones I've already tried)

*Pears
*Peaches
Raspberries
Blueberries
Strawberries
Blackberries
Cherries
Cranberries
*Rhubarb
*Maple Syrup (you can eliminate some sugar in the filling if you use this)
Coconut flakes (in the topping)

The mix-ins are one reason this recipe can be made inexpensively. For instance, right now pears and apples are in season here in Maine. So I bought bruised ones that were discounted and used those to make a crisp. I only spent a few dollars on the fruit! Using other fruits also helps cut the cost when apples aren't in season. I used Rhubarb earlier this summer - that was free in my backyard! Can't get much cheaper than that! :)


I'd LOVE to hear your favorite fall dish, as well as any more suggestions you have for mix-ins! What makes the perfect apple crisp for you?


Follow So Sew Organized:
 photo googleplus.png



Comments

  1. I've never heard of apple crisp before. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO TRY IT!!! :) Yes, it is that good! :)

      Delete
  2. Yup. I love apple crisp, but this one sounds so different and good. :)

    Http://unveiledandrevealed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, and EASY! Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  3. I love apple crisp, but I must say I have never heard of coconut sugar. I wonder if it would be healthier for diabetics? Also, do you know if it bakes up well when used in cakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* it is a better option for diabetics, but I'd do some research on it to be sure. I did hear from some of my readers who use it all the time in place of white sugar, but I haven't tried it myself. So far I have just used it to replace brown sugar. I think it would be worth experimenting with! :)

      Delete
  4. You know, I've never tried coconut sugar. I was always curious. This recipe looks scrumptious!

    À LA MODEST - Replacing insecurities with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty easy alternative to regular sugar!

      Delete
  5. I think my wife would love this recipe! I love that you used coconut sugar and whole wheat as alternatives. My wife often used honey as alternative to sugar too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try honey or maple syrup in the filling part sometime instead of sugar, I think it might work well in this type of recipe! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! This looks so tasty! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is! I've been enjoying it a lot lately! =)

      Delete
  7. Love love love apple crisp. This looks fab. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this recipe, it is so easy! I have been enjoying it a lot lately! =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Lets keep things fun and edifying, shall we? Also: don't be afraid if your comment doesn't pop up right away. Some comments have to be moderated. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Goals for the Week of November 2, 2015

Goals for the Week of November 9, 2015

"Frasier Island" Book Review and Giveaway!